It is a general fact that all temporary files (cache) are just unwanted data created by Windows or its applications, but it’s not actually true.
Cache is the commonly used information generated by apps so that it doesn’t have to be recreated again.
The cache holds info regarding browser, recently worked applications etc. And, when a browser has the full CSS info of a particular web page, which we are looking for then it immediately starts presenting the page. That is the reason for a browser to display the layout of a page very quickly when the user visits a page on the same site the second time.
But, there are certain situations where we need to clear computer cache. You may ask why is it important to clear cache when it is being so advantageous? Well, here is the answer.
Why Do You Need to Clear Your Cache?
- Space: If the computer doesn’t have more drive space, and installed applications have created a lot of temporary files, then you might have a real reason to clear the cache.
- Cache Issues: At times when the cache gets corrupted or the cache is just outdated and has old files, then it becomes a big problem for web browsers. This not just slows down the PC speed, but itself becomes a major problem.
- Improper Auto Complete: Another reason for wiping the cache is a badly written auto complete algorithm.
For instance, application’s search box tries to present a drop-down of recent items, but the mechanism is slow and clunky. This happens due to the auto complete process performed by bad apps and, clearing cache may help you to fix it.
Meanwhile, the prime reason shouldn’t be neglected that, bad apps are the ground basis for this issue.
- Privacy Concern: Deleting the cache is certainly something one will do if they are concerned about their privacy.
So, these are the typical requirements for a computer user to clear the cache memory. But, what is the safe and efficient way to clear cache? Here it is!
How to Clear Computer Cache to Improve PC Speed?
Step 1: Delete Temp Files
- Right click on the drive and select Properties
- Hit the Disk Cleanup
- Disk cleanup calculates junk files that can be deleted. So, wait until the process gets completed
- Next, you will get a list of Files to delete
- There you can select the files, which you wish to delete
- Go through the list and mark files to remove
- Click on OK
- Confirm the permanent deletion of selected files by hitting Delete Files button
Repeat this for all drives present in the system.
Step 2: Clear DNS Cache
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator
- Type ipconfig /flushdnsand press Enter key
- A confirmation message appears, “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache”
- Close the Command Prompt
Step 3: Clear Memory Cache
- Right-click on the desktop and select New
- Choose Shortcut from the list
- In the “Type the location of the item” box, enter
- %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks(For 32-bit system)
- %windir%\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks (For 64-bit system)
- Go Next
- Name the shortcut and click on Finish button
- Now, open the newly created shortcut
This shortcut examines all the running processes and ends unused ones that use free memory. So, it is suggested to run this shortcut, every time when you experience a slowed down performance on PC.
Step 4: Clear File Explorer Cache
- Open, File Explorer
- Switch to View tab and select Options
- Click on the Clear button located under Privacy
Step 5: Clear Browser Cache
Open the browser and go to settings. Then, clear cache, browsing history etc. information.
To Clear Google Chrome’s Cache,
- Open Chrome browser and go to menu
- Select Settings and opt Show advanced settings
- Navigate to Privacy section and hit Clear browsing databutton
To Clear Firefox’s Cache,
- Launch Firefox
- Click the upper-left corner button
- Choose History, and hit Clear Recent History
To Clear Internet Explorer’s Cache,
- Open IE and hit the Gear icon present at the upper-right corner
- Select Safety, and opt to Delete browsing history
- Enable Temporary Internet Files
- Leave the rest of data that you want to preserve and hit the Delete button